Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sybil @ The Actors Studio


Last 2 night, i dragged invited Cat along to watch a theatre with me. This show was entitled Sybil and it was directed by my very very respected ex lady boss, Faridah Merican herself; who still remembers me when i said Hi to her. Lau niang so terharu okeh! Well she HAS to remember me i suppose. I was the only intern who actually dared to bitch about my job.

ON PAPER. Oh i am all about provocating. Ha ha ha ha!

And crazily, Faridah ACTUALLY decided to publish it on the newsletter which was circulated nation wide. Gila tak.

I got really intruiged reading the sypnosis alone. As soon as i read it, I told myself "I gotta watch this!". If you're too butt lazy to check the link, basically the story is set in the Japanese Occupation and it tells the life ( but Cat insists that it is NOT about the life of hers. It should be interogation only. Dia geram! Ha ha ha!) of Sybil Kathigasu; a real character no less. She's the wife of a doctor and she was being interogated by this bad ass Japanese General. For nursing British soldiers apparently.

So the whole play is centralized on her interogation process. I had to say...hands down. This is no doubt THE MOST intense play i've ever watch. The script were rather heavy and it demands a lot of concentration and the actions were staged in its most violent glory. The actress who played Sybil is no less a weak, frail looking middle aged woman in her mid40s or even 50s i suppose. And throughout the play, she was actually tortured in the most vivid manner.

Oh yes. It felt like watching a stage play version of Kill Bill. Or the infamous Saw series. Hostel. Ok lah, not hostel. They didn't butcher people on stage lah. But still it was quite brutal for a stage performance. The actress had her hair yanked several times, slapped, punched, thrown off her chair with her hands tied, stepped on, kicked on, and get this: even had her eyes gauged. Her lingering screams of pain echoed in the hall and it gave audiences this sense of tension. Very very clever.

The cream of the show had to be the epilouge part i suppose. A lenghty video presentation of the real woman herself was screened. It showed pics of her grave, tortured victims of the Japanese War, and other relevant pictures. The video was screened WITHOUT music and the whole hall was actually in pin drop silence. I can feel the intensity myself and when all the actors came out for a humble curtain call, they received well deserved thunderous applaude.

Man i'm so jealous. I wish i can direct a violent play like that as well. When it comes to violence, i dare say i'm more creative that those damned Japanese Soldiers themselves okeh. But i suppose if i were to do it in school it'll cost me my job or something.

Hmmmpph.

Oh...the play is still running so if you wanna watch it, you still can. I strongly recommend it. :D

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been hearing about this on FB for ages! and since it got your tick of approval, it must be really good. :)

Anonymous said...

It was a bit too intense and doom and gloom for me lah.....even fidgeting in my seat sounded loud in the oh-so silent theater. And I don't think there was a single smile or happy moment in the play.

After that I felt like listening to Mika all day and watch some Disney cartoons just to lift up my spirits =P

Medie007 said...

YOU BITCH! KNOWING I'M TAD FREE AT HOME AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN INVITE ME TO GO ALONG TO THIS AMAZING THEATRE?! HOW BITCH CAN YOU BE?! I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!!!!

yes, i'm geram. and i still hate you for not asking me. urgh!!!!

Lau Niang said...

lyana: oh it was. it was. Such a powerful play.

catty: after that you must watch hostel and hills have eyes back to back then you can cheer up. Ha ha ha!

Bong: beyotch.....i've been msnsing you for the past week or so if you noticed. You either did not reply at all or you dissapear right after a quick hi. How to tell you anything lah. Anyway there'll be more good shows coming up. no worries lah ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

thank you for the review, bibiknyonya. we're so glad that u enjoyed it. i'm the corporal in the play and a friend of lyana's. and reader of ur blog too. keep up the good work (or writing)!